When you think about your most influential marketing channels, does packaging come to mind? If not, it should.
If retailers are selling your products, the packaging is often customers’ first experience with your brand. You may have the most exceptional product in the world, but if your packaging is “meh” and your competitor’s is more eye-catching and engaging, your competitor is likely to get the sale. Even if you are selling products exclusively in your own stores, packaging still matters. Shoppers associate the quality of your products with the quality of the packaging it’s in.
A national study conducted by the Paper and Packaging Board and IPSOS supports the importance of packaging to your sales. The study found that 7 in 10 (72%) of consumers say that packaging design can influence their purchasing decisions. The numbers rise among consumers who are younger, more educated, and more affluent. The study found that paper-based packaging like folding cartons appeals to consumers due to its “innovative design techniques” and because it can be recycled and reused.
According to the survey,
- 67% of consumers agree that when selecting products, they’re influenced by the material those products are packaged in.
- 68% of consumers said that, given a choice between paper or plastic, they are most likely to buy products in paper-based packaging.
- 71% of consumers said they are more likely to buy brands that package their products in paper or cardboard than in other materials.
How can you make your packaging stand out? It depends on your audience. Know your audience and craft your designs to match their needs and preferences just as you would any other marketing piece.
- Use color to your advantage. Try using bright, engaging colors or metallic effects, or take the opposite approach with black-and-white minimalist designs or faded retro looks.
- Add specialty coatings, unique finishes, and embellishments to create unique designs to catch the customer’s eye.
- Consider using segmentation. Breaking your product lines into targeted segments enables you to appeal to niche audiences and boost your sales.
Need help designing packaging that works as a marketing tool? We’ve got this. Let us help!